Before I begin this week’s post, I want to start off by saying Sac State alum Ryan Coogler and the phenomenal Ava DuVernay are out here killing it! Last month was black history month but as I stated in my previous post, We are Magic 365 days a year! This is honestly and truly Black History Year! Representation matters! If you haven’t already, go see Black Panther and A Wrinkle in Time.
Now on to this week’s post…
Spring is coming fast! Trust me, my allergies are already trying to kill me.
With Spring approaching this means festival season is among us! Time for road trips, short shorts, sundresses, concerts, amusement parks, water parks, pastel colors, Easter, Spring break, beach days, girl trips, and baecations!
My excitement about all the festivals coming up inspired this weeks post. So to get everyone else in the spirit here’s a list of some events happening worldwide in 2018:
SOOOO many options right! How can you not be excited! lol
If you are anything like me after the trip is planned out and paid for the next order of business is shopping! My favorite places to shop are thrift stores and local boutiques. But when planning for a trip or event, online shopping is my best friend. Thrift stores offer more vintage and unique clothing but online shopping has a wider variety to pick from. The downside to online shopping is waiting to receive the package, not being able to try the clothes on before I buy them and if the package comes too late or even worst the mail company loses it. 🤯
Normally it helps if I already have the look I’m going for in mind. Here are some fun festival looks i pulled together:
Inspo from Pinterest:
What I love most, these looks are simple yet chic. For Spring/ Summer outdoor events, my goal is to be as comfortable as possible. Being hot and bothered with hella clothes on or wearing uncomfortable shoes doesn’t sound like fun to me. If I am wearing too many accessories, extra makeup, and unnecessary clothing I get annoyed easily. In general, I am a very simple dresser. My wardrobe is usually monochromatic with a statement piece. The saying “less is more” is really a way of life for me.
“Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance.” – Coco Chanel
“Simplicity is the Ultimate form of Sophistication.” – Leonardo da Vinci
“Before you leave the house, look in the mirror & remove one accessory.” – Coco Chanel
Adding bold statements to outfits: Whether it’s with a new hairstyle/ hair color, showing extra skin, pairing bold prints, mesh, fishnet, a statement necklace, lace, fringe, wide leg pants, a brim hat, studs, buckles, or sunglasses I always add something ✨extra✨ to make the outfit pop.
Here are links to online boutiques I like to shop:
List of Road Trip Necessities:
- Good Energy: When everyone in the car is excited about the trip, willing to chip in and ready to have a good time everything goes alot smoother. Even if things don’t go as planned if everyone contributes to the group synergy, hick ups on the road will just be something to laugh about later and make for good memories.
- Good Music: I can honestly drive 10 hours straight as long as I have some good music / funny podcasts. It helps if you guys make a playlist or have a discography of CDs picked especially for the trip. (My family’s road trip favorite is anything Beyonce)
- Snacks: This is pretty obvious. lol what’s a road trip without snacks
- Blankets and pillows: If it is an overnight road trip make sure the car is big enough for everybody to get comfortable
- Stories: On all my road trips this has always been a bonding time. You learn the most about people when you are stuck in a car for hours
- Patience: Don’t be the person in the car that keeps asking “Are we there yet?”
- Gas Money and Food Stop Money: Don’t be ass’d out. Budget for food stops on the road trip. Also don’t be a tightwad, chip in money for gas
- Comfortable clothes: Be sure to bring a sweatshirt for when it gets cold and a tshirt/ tank top for the heat. Being in the car with multiple people for a long period of time means multiple body temperatures. For overnight road trips wear lounge clothes, head scarfs, no makeup, and slides. It makes absolutely no sense to be all made up just to sit in a car. Don’t do too much
- Toiletries: Depending on how far you are travelling it doesn’t hurt to freshen up in the bathroom at one of the stops.
- Turn up! Don’t be a Debbie downer make the most out of the experience
I hope you guys enjoyed my post this week! I tried to make it fun and get everyone excited for Spring! lol Between Daylight Savings and my seasonal allergies, the transition into a new season is always rough for me but I am excited for what’s to come!
I want to leave you guys with this quote from last week’s episode of Grown-ish
“I’m always going to look for the things people run from and choose the things people make assumptions about then I make it as fire as I can. That’s what I call art” – Luka Sabbat
Enjoy the rest of the week!
See you next Wednesday!